Sunday, November 11, 2012

Earthships are AWESOME

         Earthships are awesome. It's not even debatable  When I first learned about them in 8th grade Earth-space science with Mrs. Peters (who I miss very dearly), I thought it was just about the coolest thing I'd ever heard of. Later I had the chance to design my own Earthship as a project. This I also enjoyed very much. Since I'm not sure how much everyone knows about Earthships I'll just give a general idea of what they are. Basically, they're completely sustainable homes that are super convenient and cheap to live in. So if its a house, then why is it called an Earthship? Because they're just that cool. Who wouldn't want to casually say "Oh yeah, you can come over to my Earthship later and we'll figure it out." Awesome. So anyways, Earthships are each originally designed and easy to build. In fact, a couple who had never built anything in their lives were able to single-handedly construct an Earthship in only 3 months. Earthships are also way less expensive than normal homes. The Simple Survival models cost around $7,000 while the more intricate ones start at around $70,000. Still not convinced that Earthships are a big deal? Ok.

    1. They are made completely out of recycled materials. Tires, glass, cans, etc. Yet they are stunning. 
       <----ew, landfills.

           2. Earthships all have a couple of greenhouses that grow food ALL YEAR. The plants make the environment even more beautiful. Plus home grown food tastes so good. A lot of people also choose to build a fish pond of chicken coop as a source of meat.

           3. Earthships are so ingenious that they maintain a steady temperature of about 70 degrees year round. Even in blistering cold or hot climates. They are also built to let in lots of natural light.
           4. Earthships produce their own all-natural energy with solar panels and wind turbines. They also have an amazing system for recycling water. So you'll never be short of resources.

Are you convinced now? Me too. What I can't grasp then, is why people haven't been giving more attention to these revolutionary designs. I would think that by now everyone would be living in an Earthship. Or at least some project to start the process would have begun. I guess its just one of those things I'll never understand. Which I'll probably write more about in a blog some other week. Anyways, if you want to learn more about Earthships, which of course you do, then you should watch these videos or do some research on the world-wide web.

No comments:

Post a Comment